Request a Quote
How to choose the right chairs & tables for your workstation
The Covid-19 pandemic changed our world in a million ways. And the way businesses operate around the world didn’t remain untouched. Almost all the organizations worldwide were compelled to embrace the Work from Home culture to keep their businesses running. This led the employees to work in a relaxed atmosphere, but for longer working hours.
While in-office working professionals were directed to adapt to the new normal, a survey recorded a sharp rise in postural issues, backache complaints, depression & monotony. Ill-structured workstation is known to be the main culprit behind these complaints & ailments.
According to experts, one of the viable solutions to increasing postural & psychological problems is office ergonomic chairs & tables. Including the good quality office chairs & tables to the workstation can greatly enhance a user's productivity & promote his overall well-being.
If you are looking for comprehensive tips to help you select the right office chair & table, we've got you covered. This post consists of some vital factors that will help you bring home the ideal office furniture.
Tips to Choose the right Office ergonomic chair
A chair is a significant part of your in-office & home workstation set-up, as it can add to your health & comfort. Sitting for a longer duration in one position exerts pressure on the back & spine, which can lead to severe backache & other postural issues. Therefore, it is crucial to get an office chair that features ergonomic adjustments, prevents postural issues, & keeps you comfortable all through the day.
While not one chair can necessarily be the best, ensuring certain factors can help you select the ideal chair that meets your requirements.
- Seat Height: A good ergonomic chair features adjustable seat height, allowing users of different heights to move the chair seat upwards or downwards at their convenience. This functionality enables employees of various heights to work efficiently.
Ensure checking the seat height adjustments of the chair before buying it.
- Seat Width & Depth: A suitable office chair should render enough seats to people of all sizes. The usual seat width offered by office chairs is 17 to 20 inches. On the other hand, the depth of the chair should be enough for the user to sit, leaving 2-4 inches of space between the back of the knees & the chair's seat.
- Lumbar Support: The lower back support is one of the vital features an office chair should have. Lumbar support is a boon to working professionals who sit for extended periods hunching over computer screens. It minimizes strain on the user's spine by supporting the inner curve of the lower spine & preventing it from slouching.
- Adjustable backrest: The backrest of a fine office ergonomic chair is 12 to 19 inches wide. It also features a tilt-lock mechanism that enables the user to adjust the height & angle of the backrest at his preference. This functionality is ideal for employees who take calls & attend long meetings.
- Armrests: Cushioned armrests are an optional feature; however, having them depends on your work style & working hours. If your work requires sitting for extended durations, you can place elbows & lower arms on the armrests to prevent getting fatigued.
To customize the chair as per your usage, buy a chair that renders detachable armrests.
- Chair Wheels: Office chairs that have wheels enable you to move from one side of the room to the other without getting up to retrieve the required stuff. However, it is vital to choose the material of the wheels according to the floor surface. While hard wheels are suitable for carpeted floors, chairs with soft rubber wheels can be used on hard floors.
- Swivel: The swivel chair enables you to reach various objects while seated by merely rotating your chair. Always opt for the chair with a 360-degree rotatable swivel to prevent arm fatigue that may develop by reaching stuff.
- Material: The material of the chair plays a significant role in rendering comfort to the user & adding elegance to your workstation. While selecting the chair, ensure to check the material is durable & stands heavy-usage. You may also check the chair for colors, patterns & designs that complement your personality & the room's decor.
Factors to consider while buying Office desks or tables
An ergonomic office chair, when paired up with a suitable office desk, can make your day smoother & productive. Listed below is a list of crucial factors that will help you buy a perfect office desk for your workspace.
1). The usage of office desk:
- Computer Work: If your work involves computer usage, opt for a desk that can accommodate your laptop/desktop. Moreover, it should have a compartment for placing CPU, a keyboard drawer to position keyboard & mouse, and cable hole tidies for cables & wires.
- Paperwork: If you deal with volumes of papers, files & folders, look for an office desk that renders ample space to keep spreadsheets, workbooks, registers & piles of papers. You may go for a desk with an attached overhead cabinet to store & categorize documents for easy retrieval.
- Paperwork & Computer work Combined: If your work style demands paperwork, computer usage & meetings, an L-shaped desk will prove to be quite beneficial. On the other hand, a U-shaped desk will render space for both presentations & meetings with clients.
- For small spaces: If you are space constricted, go for office desks that can maximize your working space. Take advantage of your room's vertical space & use tables with stacked shelves to arrange your stuff. A compact workstation with compartments to hold the keyboard, speakers, CPU & documents can be a great fit.
2). The surface of the desk: In the market today, office desks are available in a wide range of desk surfaces, such as wood, metal, steel & laminate.
- Laminate: Applied to the wooden frame, laminate is affordable & durable. It is available in a variety of colors & patterns to suit your style & room decor.
- Metal/Steel: While metal/steel desks do not impart the most professional look, they are reasonably priced & good for heavy-use.
- Wood/Veneer: Wood & veneer-based office desks add a touch of elegance to your room. However, wooden desks should be handled with care as they are considerably more delicate than laminate & metal.
3). Quality & Durability of office desk: Nobody wants to lighten their pockets on a poor-quality workstation. Therefore, ensure checking the quality of an office desk before purchasing it. The corners & edges should not show any signs of fraying.
If you plan to buy a desk with storage drawers, ensure they slide open to their full length & close easily.
Purchasing the right office chair & table requires serious consideration as your workstation greatly defines your overall productivity & well-being. Give a thought to the aspects discussed above to select your next workstation office chairs & meeting tables. These aspects will serve as a valuable tool in ensuring your workspace is ergonomic, comfortable, functional & productive.